Traditional Filipino noodle dish with vegetables, pork, chicken, and shrimp.
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g pork shoulder, thinly sliced
- 1 medium chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 250g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup yellow beans, julienned
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 500g packaged rice noodles
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges (for garnish)
- bean sprouts (for garnish)
- Soak mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes, then remove the stems and cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large wok.
- Sauce garlic and onions until tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add pork, chicken, and shrimp. Cook until evenly browned (about 6 minutes).
- Add soy sauce and chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Add cabbage, green beans, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook until vegetables are tender yet crisp (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add rice noodles, mixing to immerse in broth. Cook until liquid is absorbed and noodles are soft (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Garnish with green onions, lemon wedges, bean sprouts, and soy sauce as desired.
- Mama: 4/5
- Papa: 4/5, would recommend using fewer noodles (350g)
- Girlie: 4/5
- TW: 5/5, very tasty with lemon juice as garnish!
- McM: 4.5/5, delicious!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/pancit-canton-25121
Vegetarian pasta dish with farfelle and oven-roasted vegetables.
Total time: 40 minutes
- 200g matchstick carrots
- 5 medium zucchini, cut into thin strips (2 inches long)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips (2 inches long)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (2 inches long)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- 700g farfalle (bowtie pasta)
- 30 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced vegetables (all except cherry tomatoes) with oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Arrange the vegetables in an even layer on two large baking sheets. Bake, stirring after 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the vegetable begin to brown (20 minutes total).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain.
- In a large pot, toss the pasta with the vegetable mixture, cherry tomatoes, and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
- Mama: 4.5/5, light and tasty pasta dish!
- Papa: 3/5, rather bland for my taste
- Girlie: 3/5, not enough flavor
- TW: 3.5/5, could have used more spices
- McM: 4.5/5, baked vegetables have a nice texture and the spices and Parmesan add a delicious subtle flavor!
Original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pasta-primavera-recipe.html
Shrimp Scampi Linguini
Greek-style pasta dish. Pictured above (on right) with spanakopita (on left).
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1kg linguini
- 1kg medium or large shrimp, peeled and de-veined with tails removed
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 sprigs oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
- Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a deep skillet and cook garlic on medium heat until browned (3 minutes).
- Add shrimp and cook on medium heat (3 minutes).
- Add red pepper flakes, lemon zest, oregano, olives, and wine and cook on medium heat (2 minutes).
- Add lemon juice and 1 cup of starchy pasta cooking water to skillet. Remove from heat.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain water and add pasta to skillet.
- Toss with parsley and feta. Feta will melt onto pasta.
- Top with chopped olives and serve.
- McM: 3/5, very tasty though oregano creates a strong flavor
Original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/greek-style-shrimp-scampi-and-linguini-recipe.html