Dessert sauce served with berries and biscotti.
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1kg strawberries, sliced
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon marsala wine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 5 prepackaged biscotti
- Toss the strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine 1 egg, 4 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar, wine, vanilla, and salt in a large heatproof bowl.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of gently boiling water. Do not let the bowl touch the water. See photo below.
- Whisk vigorously over medium heat until thick and creamy (8-10 minutes).
- Immediately pour over berries and serve with biscotti.
- Mama: 4/5, creamy texture similar to meringue
- Papa: 4/5, this dessert would go well with coffee!
- TW: 2.5/5, tastes like marshmallows and I don’t like marshmallows
- McM: 4/5, refreshing dessert!
Original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/zabaglione-with-berries-recipe.html
Vegetarian pasta dish with farfelle and oven-roasted vegetables.
Total time: 40 minutes
- 200g matchstick carrots
- 5 medium zucchini, cut into thin strips (2 inches long)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips (2 inches long)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (2 inches long)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- 700g farfalle (bowtie pasta)
- 30 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced vegetables (all except cherry tomatoes) with oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Arrange the vegetables in an even layer on two large baking sheets. Bake, stirring after 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the vegetable begin to brown (20 minutes total).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain.
- In a large pot, toss the pasta with the vegetable mixture, cherry tomatoes, and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
- Mama: 4.5/5, light and tasty pasta dish!
- Papa: 3/5, rather bland for my taste
- Girlie: 3/5, not enough flavor
- TW: 3.5/5, could have used more spices
- McM: 4.5/5, baked vegetables have a nice texture and the spices and Parmesan add a delicious subtle flavor!
Original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pasta-primavera-recipe.html
Italian Sausage Skewers
Easy Italian side dish with sausage and cheese.
Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 large (approximately 250g) Italian poultry sausages
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- 24 pitted kalamata olives
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 24 cubes Friulano cheese
- 24 6-inch wooden skewers
- Cook the sausage by boiling for 10-12 minutes or according to package instructions. Let cool and cut into 1 inch rounds.
- Assemble skewers by placing an olive 1/3 of the way up the skewer, then adding a folded basil leaf, a cube of cheese, a cherry tomato, and a sausage round.
- Position everything on the end of the skewer so the skewer can stand up on its sausage end.
- Mama: 5/5, delicious appetizer, would be even better if the sausage were cut into smaller pieces (1/2 inch rounds)
- Papa: 4.5/5, the basil adds a nice flavour!
- Girlie: 2.5/5
- TW: 5/5
- McM: 4/5
Original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/italian-style-sausage-skewers-recipe.html