Bunuelos de Espinaca
Argentinean spinach fritters.
Total time: 60 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 450g fresh baby spinach, chopped and steamed
- 3/4 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- oil for frying (liquid coconut oil recommended)
- Chop spinach, then steam over boiling water for 4-5 minutes until fully wilted.
- Mix spinach and onion together in a bowl. Add milk and eggs. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper together.
- Stir flour mixture into spinach mixture until batter is evenly combined.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large, deep frying pan over low-medium heat. Oil is ready to use with a drop of spinach batter added to the oil bubbles immediately.
- Drop batter (about 1 tablespoon per fritter), into the hot oil. Fry until outside edges of fritters are golden brown (3 – 4 minutes per side). Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil and adjusting oil temperature as needed.
- Serve with tzatziki sauce and chimichurri.
- Mama: 4/5, very good as an appetizer!
- Papa: 3.5/5, somewhat bland but the coconut oil adds a nice flavor
- Girlie: 2/5 by themselves, but 4/5 when served with tzatziki sauce
- TW: 2.5/5 by themselves, 4/5 when served with tzatziki sauce or chimichurri