A traditional Laotian side dish.
Total time: 20 minutes
- 3 medium ripe papayas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small red chilis, deseeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons shrimp paste (see previous post on this blog)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Peel papayas. Cut in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Shred papaya and set aside.
- Mash garlic and chilis together using a meat tenderizer or mortar and pestle.
- Drain the excess juice from shredded papaya. Then add the mashed garlic and chilis, shrimp paste, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, and cherry tomatoes. Mix thoroughly.
- Mama: 4/5
- Papa: 4/5, would have liked more tomatoes and more chilis!
- Girlie: 5/5, this is delicious!
- TW: 4/5
- McM: 3/5, very sweet initially with a spicy aftertaste, a little too spicy for my preference but a tasty side dish with an exotic flavour!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/lao-papaya-salad-447215