Minced chicken in lettuce wraps. Served with sticky rice, a staple in Laotian meals.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sticky rice (sushi rice works well)
- 1/4 cup uncooked medium grain white rice
- 1kg boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 small red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste (see previous post on this blog)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 10-12 lettuce leaves (one head of butter lettuce works well as the lettuce is flavorful and sturdy enough to make wraps)
- Cook sticky rice according to package instructions. We used sushi rice cooked in a rice cooker.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the uncooked white rice onto a baking sheet. Bake the rice in the oven until golden (15 minutes). Once cooled, grind into a fine powder using a spice grinder or coffee grinder. Set aside.
- Process the chicken thigh meat in a food processor until finely minced. Set aside.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, ginger, chili, and green onions. Cook, stirring, until the garlic softens (3 minutes).
- Add the minced chicken and cook, stirring to break up lumps, until the meat is no longer pink (5 minutes) .
- Add fish sauce, shrimp paste, and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the excess liquid has evaporated (5 minutes).
- Stir in the ground rice, mint, and lime juice.
- Serve on lettuce leaves with sticky rice.
- Mama: 5/5, my favorite dish out of all the countries so far!
- Papa: 4.5/5
- Girlie: 4.5/5
- TW: 4.5/5
- McM: 4.5/5, very interesting and exotic flavor, lettuce wraps make a great light meal!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/lao-papaya-salad-447215
Larb (bottom) served with sticky rice (right), papaya salad (top), and shrimp paste on crackers (left). See other posts on this blog for recipes.