Kryddad Raudkal med Blaberjum
Spiced cabbage with blueberries, a sweet-tart Icelandic side dish. Picture above (right) with baked fish (left) and brauoterta (bottom).
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup black currant jam
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tart green apple (Granny Smith), cored, peeled, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- On medium-high heat, melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Cook onion until soft (5–7 minutes).
- Add blueberries, jam, vinegar, cinnamon, ginger, cabbage, apple, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender (60 minutes).
- McM: 4.5/5, very delicious with a range of tangy and sweet flavours that compliment baked fish nicely!
Original recipe: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/icelandic-spiced-cabbage-with-blueberries