Creamy Yogurt Sauce
Falafel dressing made with navy beans and yogurt.
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups canned navy beans
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Puree all ingredients in a food processor until very smooth.
- Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
- Papa: 5/5, fantastic!
- VOD: 5/5, really good in combination with the chipotle tahini sauce
- McM: 5/5, light and refreshing, very flavorful
Original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/falafel-recipe.html
Iranian yogurt and spinach dip.
Total time: 30min
- 500g fresh baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unrefined extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups thick balkan yogurt
- 3 teaspoon dried mint
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see recipe)
- sea salt, to taste
- Steam baby spinach until just wilted. Drain well by squeezing out excess water and chop fine.
- In a medium saucepan, saute 1 1/2 cloves of minced garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add chopped spinach and salt to taste. Stir.
- Remove from stove and allow to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid.
- Toast chopped walnuts in a dry frying pan until dark brown and fragrant. Avoid burning the walnuts. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the baby spinach mixture, the remaining minced garlic, dried mint, and toasted walnuts. Stir.
- In a bowl and the yogurt, and sea salt to taste, stir gently.
- Serve with naan, crackers, or as a garnish for Uyghur Polo (see recipe on this blog).
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/iranian-yogurt-and-spinach-dip-borani-esfanaaj-444419
Lentil Rice Pilaf with Blackened Onions
Traditional vegetarian Lebanese dish.
Total time: 1 hour
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 400ml vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup canned lentils, drained
- 1 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- plain yogurt for garnish
- chopped fresh mint for garnish
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, cumin, and cinnamon. Sauté until onion softened (about 5 min).
- Add vegetable broth, lentils, and rice. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice and lentils are tender (about 15 min).
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onions. Sauté until soft and beginning to blacken (about 20 min).
- Season pilaf to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pilaf on plates.
- Top with blackened onions. Garnish with tomato and cucumber, yogurt, and mint.
- McM: 4.5/5, I really liked the yogurt as garnish!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/lebanese-lentil-rice-pilaf-with-blackened-onions-78824