Lentils and Pechay
Filipino side dish with bok choy.
Total time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups canned lentils, drained
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups fresh bok choy, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- Blend the onion in a food processor to create a soft mush.
- In a large pan, combine blended onion, 1/2 cup broth, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes. Cook (3 minutes).
- Add the canned lentils and remaining broth. Bring to a boil, add the bok choy, and cook until tender (about 5-8 minutes).
- Mama: 3.5/5
- Papa: 4/5, would be even better with more bok choy!
- Girlie: 4.5/5
- TW: 3.5/5, I don’t like tomatoes
- McM: 4/5, double the amount of bok choy next time!
- Lentils were substituted for mung beans in the original recipe. Mung beans were not available in our local grocery stores.
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/philippines-monggo-beans-and-pechay-mung-beans-and-bok-choi-305953?photo=155213
Lentil Rice Pilaf with Blackened Onions
Traditional vegetarian Lebanese dish.
Total time: 1 hour
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 400ml vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup canned lentils, drained
- 1 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- plain yogurt for garnish
- chopped fresh mint for garnish
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, cumin, and cinnamon. Sauté until onion softened (about 5 min).
- Add vegetable broth, lentils, and rice. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice and lentils are tender (about 15 min).
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onions. Sauté until soft and beginning to blacken (about 20 min).
- Season pilaf to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pilaf on plates.
- Top with blackened onions. Garnish with tomato and cucumber, yogurt, and mint.
- McM: 4.5/5, I really liked the yogurt as garnish!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/lebanese-lentil-rice-pilaf-with-blackened-onions-78824