Iranian yogurt and spinach dip.
Total time: 30min
- 500g fresh baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unrefined extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups thick balkan yogurt
- 3 teaspoon dried mint
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see recipe)
- sea salt, to taste
- Steam baby spinach until just wilted. Drain well by squeezing out excess water and chop fine.
- In a medium saucepan, saute 1 1/2 cloves of minced garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add chopped spinach and salt to taste. Stir.
- Remove from stove and allow to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid.
- Toast chopped walnuts in a dry frying pan until dark brown and fragrant. Avoid burning the walnuts. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the baby spinach mixture, the remaining minced garlic, dried mint, and toasted walnuts. Stir.
- In a bowl and the yogurt, and sea salt to taste, stir gently.
- Serve with naan, crackers, or as a garnish for Uyghur Polo (see recipe on this blog).
- McM: 4/5, delicious!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/iranian-yogurt-and-spinach-dip-borani-esfanaaj-444419