Beef and rice pilaf, a staple dish among Central Asian countries including Iran. Pictured above (on left) with yogurt spinach dip (on right).
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cups rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 500g beef (we used tenderloin)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 500g carrots, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup raisins
- salt to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions (we used a rice cooker).
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the beef in the oil until evenly browned, stirring occasionally (about 10 min).
- Add chopped onion to the pot and cook until translucent (about 10 min).
- Add carrots to the pot. (Initially it may look like there are too many carrots in the pot, however they will shrink with cooking and mix well into the recipe).
- Pour water into the pot. When the water boils, add the garlic bulb. Let the mixture simmer (5 min).
- Remove the garlic bulb and reserve. Add cumin. Allow mixture to simmer on medium-low heat (15-20 min).
- Add cooked rice to the mixture and stir.
- Replace the garlic bulb and pour raisins on top of the rice. Cover pot and cook on medium low heat (10-15 min).
- Remove the garlic bulb.
- Serve with naan and yogurt spinach dip as garnish (see recipe on this blog).
- McM: 4.5/5, very flavorful!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/uyghur-polo-pilaf-411849