Paella is a traditional spicy Spanish dish with a variety of meats and seafood served over rice.
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cups uncooked white rice* (see notes below)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1kg chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes* (see notes below)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 lemons, tested
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 500g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 250g mussels
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions (we prefer to use a rice cooker).
- Cook mussels according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in chicken pieces to coat. Set aside in refrigerator to marinate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and cooked rice. Add parsley, chicken stock, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer while proceeding with the next steps.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a separate large skillet over medium heat. Stir in marinated chicken and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook until shrimp is pink (5 minutes).
- Serve rice in bowls topped with meat and seafood mixture.
- The original recipe involves cooking the rice in the skillet. However, we found that it was easier and faster to cook the rice ahead of time using a rice cooker.
- The original recipe describes the chicken cut into 2 inch pieces but we found that these pieces were too large to eat easily from the bowls. We recommend using thinner strips or 1 inch cubes of chicken.
- Mama: 4/5, quite spicy
- Papa: 4.5/5
- McM: 4/5
- TW: 4/5
- Girlie: 4/5, a little too spicy for my preference
Original recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/84137/easy-paella/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=8