Romanian braised chicken with vegetables.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, deseeded, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1.2kg chicken breast, cubed
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- bread or rice for serving
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until onions are browned (5 minutes).
- Add bell pepper and carrots and continue cooking until peppers begin to soften (5-8 minutes).
- Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until chicken is browned (10 – 15 minutes).
- Add tomato paste, wine, sugar, thyme, and rosemary. Stir thoroughly, then cover and simmer until chicken is fully cooked (15-20 minutes).
- Serve with bread or rice.
- Mama: 4/5
- Papa: 4/5
- Girlie: 4/5
- TW: 4/5
- McM: 4/5, delicious meal, very flavorful!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-ghiveci-romanian-braised-chicken-297592
Romanian dumplings made from cottage cheese.
Total time: 30 minutes
- 500g cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour (plus additional as needed)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pepper to taste
- Use a colander to strain the excess liquid from the cottage cheese, leaving just the curds behind.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cottage cheese curds, 3 eggs, and one tablespoon of sugar.
- Slowly add flour, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, while stirring until the consistency of the mixture thickens enough to allow the formation of small balls. If the mixture crumbles, continue adding flour to thicken. (We used approximately 1/2 cup of flour total).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a gentle boil.
- Wet your hands and shape the cottage cheese mixture into small balls (2-3cm diameter). Drop the balls into the boiling water (they should sink to the bottom of the pot). Avoid stirring as this may break apart the balls.
- Boil the dumplings until they rise and float on the surface of the water. Gently scoop the dumplings out of the water and set aside.
- Serve with pepper to taste.
- Mama: 4/5, these are better than most traditional dumplings!
- Papa: 3.5/5, would be even better by substituting some of the cottage cheese for more flavorful cheese (such as grated Parmesan, chunks of sharp cheddar, or crumbled blue cheese).
- Girlie: 1/5, I really didn’t like these.
- TW: 4/5, would be even better using different types of cheese.
- McM: 3.5/5
Original recipe: http://www.romanianfoodrecipes.com/recipe/cheese-dumplings-galuste-cu-branza