Shrimp Pad Thai
Classic Thai meal with shrimp and tofu.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 250g thin rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 600g cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup firm tofu, cubed
- 5 scallions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts, crush, plus additional for garnish
- 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
- spicy peanut satay sauce for serving
- Sriracha hot sauce for serving
- Put the noodles in a medium bowl with hot water to cover. Soak until tender (30 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk the sugar, fish sauce, and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in the beaten eggs, tilting the skillet as you pour to make a thin even coating of egg. Cook until just set (1-2 minutes). Invert the eggs onto a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat another 1 tablespoon of peanut oil over high heat in the same skillet. Add shrimp, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste. Fry until shrimp are pink (2 minutes).
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil, garlic, and shallots and cook until shallots are lightly browned (2 minutes).
- Add tofu and cook (2 minutes).
- Add noodles and cook, tossing, until lightly coated with garlic mixture (1 minute).
- Add fish sauce mixture and scallion pieces and heat through.
- Stir in cooked egg, 1 cup of sprouts, and crushed peanuts and toss until hot.
- Serve with additional sprouts, peanuts, and lime wedges as garnish. Add peanut sauce or Sriracha sauce to taste.
- Mama: 4.5/5
- Papa: 4.5/5
- Girlie: 5/5
- TW: 4/5,
- McM: 4.5/5, excellent meal!
- Kid Cairo: 5/5