Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
A healthy Mexican baked dish with quinoa and lots of vegetables.
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 415ml bottles of Old El Paso mild taco sauce* (see notes below)
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- small tortillas and lettuce to serve* (see notes below)
- In a large saucepan, cook quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, taco sauce, corn, kidney beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, 1 cup shredded cheddar, and 1 cup shredded mozza. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread quinoa mixture into a large baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in oven until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese has melted (10-15 minutes). Serve immediately.
- The original recipe specified Old El Paso mild enchilada sauce, however this product was not available in our local grocery store. We substituted with Old El Paso mild taco sauce. Mild sauce (half the amount) or tomato sauce (increase cumin and chili powder) could also be substituted if taco sauce is not available.
- Our kids enjoyed eating the casserole wrapped up burrito-style in small tortillas with lettuce and additional tomatoes.
- Papa: 4/5, this recipe would be even better with more spice (medium or spicy taco sauce) and substituting half of the quinoa for ground beef.
- Girlie: 4/5, this is great burrito-style!
- TW: 4/5,
- McM: 4.5/5, very light and healthy recipe, I love the quinoa!
Original recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2014/07/07/quinoa-enchilada-casserole/