Traditional Sri Lankan coconut side dish. Coconuts are a staple ingredient in most Sri Lankan meals.
Total time: 20 minutes
- 150g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 150g sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 medium tomato, de-seeded, finely chopped, juice reserved
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 150g cooked small shrimp, finely chopped (substituted for maldive fish)
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut, tomato, onion, and chill powder. Mix thoroughly until ingredients have an even pink color.
- Add reserved tomato juice, lime juice, shrimp, and salt to taste. Mix until the symbol is moist and pale reddish in color. Serve.
- Mama: 4/5
- Papa: 3.5/5, can’t wait to try this as batter for barbecued tiger prawns!
- Girlie: 3/5
- TW: 4.5/5
- McM: 4/5, very interesting texture and combination of flavors! Mixing half sweetened and half unsweetened coconut is a nice blend.