Finnish beet steaks.
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 400ml cans sliced beets, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Dip beets in beaten egg. Coat with breadcrumbs.
- In a skillet, melt better over medium-low heat. Saute beet slices, turning once to brown each side (3 minutes per side).
- Place on serving platter, sprinkle with lemon juice, and garnish with parsley.
- Mama: 3.5/5
- Papa: 3.5/5
- Girlie: 3/5
- TW: 3.5
- McM: 3.5/5, great way to serve beets, but would be even better with fresh garden beets (baked and sliced) instead of canned beets!
- AC: 3/5
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/punajuuripihvit-finnish-beet-steaks-373374
Finnish cream of carrot soup.
Total time: 40 minutes
- 500g carrots, peeled, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- nutmeg (for garnish)
- Combine beef broth and brandy in a small pot and bring to boil. Add carrots and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender (about 20-25 min).
- Mash the carrots in the broth. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pot. Add the flour and stir until blended.
- Gradually add the milk to the pot, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, then simmer (3-5 minutes).
- Add the mashed carrots, broth mixture, and sugar to the boiling milk. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve. Garnish each serving with parsley and a dash of nutmeg.
- Mama: 4/5
- Papa: 4/5, a little on the sweet side but very tasty!
- Girlie: 3/5
- TW: 4/5, this is very sweet so I would recommend not adding sugar next time.
- McM: 4/5, excellent soup!
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/cream-of-carrot-soup-porkkanasosekeitto-274678