Trinidadian braised rice with crab and coconut milk.
Total time: 60 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup purple onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 hot chili, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 uncooked white rice
- 4 400ml cans coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 700g canned crab meat, drained
- 4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- lime wedges for garnish
- In a large skillet, melt butter over moderate heat until foamy. Add onions, garlic, and chili and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add curry powder and continue stirring (2-3 minutes). Add uncooked rice and continue stirring until rice is coated with the onion mixture (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in coconut milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer undisturbed (15 minutes).
- Stir in 1-2 cups water, bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is fully cooked (15-20 minutes).
- Stir in crab meat, green onions, and lime juice. Simmer until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and crab is heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with lime wedges for garnish.
- Mama: 3.5/5, very filling!
- Papa: 4/5, could use less rice and add shrimp
- Girlie: 3.5/5
- TW: 4/5
- McM: 3/5, somewhat heavy so I would recommend substituting half the regular coconut milk for “lite” coconut milk and reducing the amount of rice
Thanks really handy. Will share website with my pals