Hearty Chilean side dish with sausage, potatoes, and chard.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large bundles of chard, stems removed, cut into 1cm strips
- 2 thick slices country bread, cubed
- 3 small potatoes, cooked, cubed
- 5 large chicken sausages, cooked, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onion until translucent (4-5 minutes). Add the pepper and cook (2 minutes). Add chopped chard and cook until wilted (3-5 minutes). Season lightly with salt. Remove from skillet at set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Fry the bread cubes (5 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate with paper towel.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Brown the potatoes (5-10 minutes).
- Combine the potatoes, bread cubes, and chard mixture in the skillet. Add sausages. Warm of medium heat.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and season with cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet and stir until egg is cooked (2 minutes).
- Serve warm.
- Mama: 5/5, the chard is an excellent addition to the recipe!
- Papa: 4/5, could have used fewer potatoes but otherwise delicious!
- Girlie: 4.5/5
- TW: 4.5/5,
- McM: 3.5/5
Original recipe: http://www.enmicocinahoy.cl/chilean-fricassee/