Vegetarian Sri Lankan meal.
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1kg firm tofu, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the spinach until wilted. Squeeze out excess water. Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and sauté (2 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook (2 more minutes). Add tomatoes and cook (1 more minute). Add steamed spinach and cook (2 more minutes).
- Add turmeric, chill powder, soy sauce. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add crumbled tofu. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until heated (10 minutes).
- Serve with additional soy sauce and hot sauce as desired.
- Mama: 3.5/5, excellent with soy sauce!
- Papa: 4/5, initially a bit bland but very tasty with soy sauce and hot sauce to add spice and flavour
- Girlie: 3/5
- TW: 5/5, really delicious with soy sauce added
- McM: 4/5, could use more spice but great with soy sauce!
Scrambled tofu (left) served with pol sambol (bottom) and gotukola sambol (right) for a traditional Sri Lanka meal (see other recipe posts on this blog). We felt that this meal had some of the most interesting and exotic flavor combinations of any country so far!