South African Chicken Curry
Simple chicken curry from South Africa. Apple, raisins, and coconut add sweetness to a savory dish.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups white rice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil1.2kg chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can (284ml) chicken broth
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 1 can (284ml) sliced mushrooms, drained
- raisins, sweetened shredded coconut, peanuts (for garnish)
- Cook rice according to package instructions. We find that a rice cooker is the easiest method.
- In a large frying pan, cook chicken cubes in vegetable oil. Ensure chicken is cooked through, then set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add celery and onion and cook on medium heat until soft (about 10 minutes). Then add apple and continue cooking until tender (another 5 minutes).
- Combine cornstarch, curry powder, and chicken broth. Stir into onion mixture.
- Add milk to onion mixture.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring, until thick and bubbly (about 5-10 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in cooked chicken and mushrooms. Heat through.
- Serve over rice. Add raisins, shredded coconut, and peanuts as garnish.
- McM: 5/5, my new favorite curry dish!
- Papa: 4/5
Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/african-chicken-curry-50400